Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

idiots suing for the right to hate speech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: idiots suing for the right to hate speech Reply with quote

i say idiots because i'd be hard pressed to call these people actual christians....the whole "don't judge" bit seems to escape them there.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-christians10apr10,0,1243330,full.story?coll=la-home-nation

my favourite quote of theirs...and i think the most telling quote (emphasis mine):

Quote:
By equating homosexuality with race, Baylor said, tolerance policies put conservative evangelicals in the same category as racists. He predicts the government will one day revoke the tax-exempt status of churches that preach homosexuality is sinful or that refuse to hire gays and lesbians.

"Think how marginalized racists are," said Baylor, who directs the Christian Legal Society's Center for Law and Religious Freedom. "If we don't address this now, it will only get worse."

yeeea...

also:
Quote:
When they protest tolerance codes, they're labeled intolerant.

that tends to happen yes

maybe i should create a religion which demands i go out and whack these types of idiots with a newspaper repeatedly while yelling obscenities. After all if they complain they're repressing my right to religious expression.

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part of this is:
Quote:
Christian activist Gregory S. Baylor responds to such criticism angrily. He says he supports policies that protect people from discrimination based on race and gender. But he draws a distinction that infuriates gay rights activists when he argues that sexual orientation is different ? a lifestyle choice, not an inborn trait.

They're claiming their religion is being discriminated against. I would assume, then, that he believes being Christian is an inborn trait?
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrugs* People are free to believe what they want, but they aren't free to infringe on the rights of others by harrassing them. It goes both ways, regardless of who you agree with, IMHO.

Quote:
maybe i should create a religion which demands i go out and whack these types of idiots with a newspaper repeatedly while yelling obscenities. After all if they complain they're repressing my right to religious expression.

Yes, but they would have every right to complain because your "religion" infringes on their right not to be wracked repeatedly. Thus you could not legally practice all aspects of your religon in this country. (For the record, I don't think Christainty teaches harrassment of any kind.)
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, but they would have every right to complain because your "religion" infringes on their right not to be wracked repeatedly. Thus you could not legally practice all aspects of your religon in this country. (For the record, I don't think Christainty teaches harrassment of any kind.)

no they wouldn't if one were to follow their logic. In fact according to their logic I would have the right to take them and any institution defending them to court as they're doing here. Which was the point of my comment.

we can only be hopefull that their "logic" is not so widespread as to be held up by a court of law. Personally i'm hoping they'll be laughed out of the courthouse.

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: