Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions about Digital Cameras???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Suggestions about Digital Cameras??? Reply with quote

I'm searching for a new 'enthusiast' class digital camera. Since most of us here are techies I thought I'd solicit some advice.

I'm searching for something:
5+ megapixels
Good focus ability, perhaps multi area, good processor, AF assist lamp?? I don't care... just something that does the job.
Image stabilization or equivalent
lower than average noise at high ISO
Good MACRO
Decent Optical zoom (4X is fine).

I'm Casio/Canon biased and my research has led me to the Canon PowerShot S2 IS.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp#images
5.0mp, Image Stabilization, 12X zoom, good Digic II... and not too gigantic. Wish it had a 7 or 8mp sensor though.....

If you guys could give me any advice or your experience with your cameras, it would be appreciated.

My old Casio QV-R40 4mp has far too much noise except in very good lighting conditions and its flash really isn't all that great, lack of AF assist also doesn't help.
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, the other one I'm considering is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1, 8mp, image stabilized, AF assist, nice zoom lens, 16:9 shooting.... eh... can't decide

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/lx1_pg5.html
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of pantex, that's the one I have and so does my brother. They are a bit cheaper than other brands usually. With CES happening right now there are a bunch of new cameras comming out. check out dl.tv's coverage of CES for some of the things. I think the their first show had some of the new pentax stuff in it. And the second show they showed off new image stabilization cameras.

www.dl.tv

hope some of this stuff helps.

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... that was very useful. I think I'm adding the new Panasonic Lumix to the list as well as the Pentax Optio A10. Although they won't be available for a little bit.... seems like the features/price is worth the wait.
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of their older regular episodes had a very long segment on prosummer slr cammeras.

http://digitallifetv.com/blogs/digitallifetv/archive/category/1169.aspx

--Isaac Asimov
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda have mixed opinions on my Powershot (S45). It's several years old, and I'm not sure how much Canon has advanced the line since. The professor I have for computer vision highly recommended Canon. After Kodak left the market, he claims that Canon largely has better quality lenses, and he also said their Digic technology does a good job at cleaning photos up when shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: