Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD's new Mobile competitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: AMD's new Mobile competitor Reply with quote

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20050906/index.html

Looks like AMD is responding to many AMD fans (like myself) that has switched to supporting the Pentium M for mobile applications...
Turion64 mobile is now matching Intel Pent M in power usage (something they haven't excelled at....) but is still showing a slightly lower performance.

SOON!!!! AMD will rule again Razz If they can conquer Pent M... and fire some of their moron executives... I think we'll see another good battle in the processor industry... back to the days of the tbird. Maybe AMD can capture double digit %'s from the industry Razz
In my opinion AMD has already pwned celeron M with their Sempron64 Mobile, and celerons/Pent HT with their Semprons and Athlon 64's, Pent D vs Athlon X2 is too early to tell.
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah but their market share is still not terribly impressive since they can't seem to convince some major retailers to switch to them. Like if they can get Dell to offer an non P that would be interesting.... Though i agree with you I tend to buy AMD....

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, they can't convince retailers to switch to them but I think it's a fundamental problem. They're just making too many stupid decisions. Their whole Duron, Sempron, Turion, Athlon system is screwed up. They price the Athlon systems far too high despite the Semprons being made from the exact same chip. Eh... I've just read a lot of stupid stuff that theyve done.... not promoting some things.... promoting some things then only releasing small quantities....etc etc etc. So many mistakes and inconsistencies... no wonder no company will become AMD's Dell...

If AMD had a 'DELL' to back them.... I think they'd do a lot better but I think they're still too small for that, not enough in research, not enough production capability, takes them far too long to bring chips to the market... etc.

Actually... I've helped several people recently purchase new computers.... ALL have been Intels. I only recommend AMD's if you build yourself nowadays. DELL is the deciding factor. Their systems are so cheap and so well built (arguable... but I've never had problems with them) that it's hard to pass up. Especially now that they include big LCD's and other good accessories.
19" LCD + well equipt P4 3ghz HT for <$700.... I think it's difficult to even build a comparible Sempron at that price....

And definately... I always recommend a Pent M for laptops unless you need a powerhouse non portable laptop.... then I'd recommend Turion/Athlon 64 mobile.
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something recently where Intel got CMOS transistors down to 35nm (down from 50nm), and they leak much less energy than current transistors... Are the new AMD chips in this league, or are they competing with current Pentium-M technology?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All new processors are running 90nm.
Previous generation was 130nm.

No one has had great success with 90nm (started with the notorious Press'hot'). Heat output has not been significantly reduced. Theoretically it should decrease the heat output (caused by leakage) however they ran into a lot of problems. They could not use a lower power input as initially proposed and therefore had to jack up the Vcore. Initial Presscotts had terrible heat issues. AMD came into 90nm shortly after Intel and didn't have as much problems. In my opinion this is due to AMD's performance being less dependent on core clock speed.

This is the same reason why Intel has had such success with their Pentium M's. Less reliance on clock speed for performance.

Next generation is supposed to be around 35-45nm.
I believe graphics board manufacturers have already gone to sub 90nm. I think I read somewhere AMD uses IBM manufacturing technology. I think IBM does have sub 90nm. Intel also I believe has tested sub 90nm. The problem is AMD cannot beat Intel in the development of this chip unless Intel intentionally allows AMD to do so. Intel loves to have technology developed in secrecy then release it at the best time to screw AMD over.

Turion is NOT on sub 90nm. Turion has been out for several months and is supposed to be gap between Athlon and Sempron. Turion mobile/ Sempron Mobile/ and Athlon XP mobile is supposed to compete with each generation of Pentium M's

Honestly I don't think sub 90nm should be considered a new 'league' until it has been proven. 90nm technology has shown that shrinking brings with it a whole new group of problems. This is most true in the mobile market I think. With chips currently at 90nm running with 5-35 watt range... that can be run for most people with passive or near passive cooling, I don't think a 90nm->35nm change will improve performance enough to offset the major costs and design changes required. Decreasing gains when you approach 0 watts Razz
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does anyone know about the new intel stuff that's comming out. I've heard that they were going to serriously shrink the pipeline. Any good artilcle would be cool to read...

--Isaac Asimov
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I first read it: http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1282

The articles they write are dumbed down a bit for the average computer user, but I've found their stuff to be reasonably accurate.

It looks like that article got most of its information from this press release: http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20050920comp.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article about this also.... their claimed improvement really isn't all that much improvement....
Note that this site is normally very PRO AMD.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00840/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: