Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo Revolutions Controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Nintendo Revolutions Controller Reply with quote

Seems kinda sad that in order to reach new markets, we have to make everything mimic a TV remote control (or VCR for that matter)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4251720.stm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OtakuBrett
Horrible Luck
Horrible Luck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Revolution will give you access to download first party NES/SNES/N64 on to Flash Storage, this new controller will alter the experience greatly. I wonder if they will have a converter or something that will allow you to use old Nintendo system controller or if they will just stick to this.

BTW Thanks for posting Article
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other things that i've heard is that they will also have a "classic" controller. Plus there will be addons to this one...Though i still don't know about it...it seems like it might work...but i was not expecting a remote....i guess it'll be more apperant once we start seeing game footage...for now here is a little hands-on from wired at: http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,68869-2,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

and the vid of nintendoes presentation from IGN:http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

The vid shows a bunch of ppl looking silly, but no actual game footage....

--Isaac Asimov
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this sounds pretty intriguing, actually. Yeah, if you think about it from the standpoint of a normal controller, this would be a lousy idea, but the main point wasn't just to make it "more accessible." If you think about the motion control stuff they're trying to do, it'd be pretty hard to come up with a more logical shape.

Now, if you reinforce the wire connecting the two parts... motion-control nunchaku?
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New form of carpal tunnel?
I think this will spark a whole new ergonomics discussion. I'm sure waving this thing around and doing near everything with the wrist, thumb, and index finger will be painful in the long run.
I read something about this being based on a gyro system. Seems kinda strange I think. The Microsoft Magic Wand prototype was based on simple accelerometers and worked quite well. Seems like a pair of 3 axis accelerometer and perhaps a digital compass would achieve better results than a gyro system....
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do you get better force feedback with gyros?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would...i think u could get something where the controller will also fight u...like a fishing game where u could get some resistance....

--Isaac Asimov
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't carpal tunnel more about the problem of having you wrist locked in the same position too long? I personally find that I get cramps more in joints I'm trying to hold still than the ones I'm trying to move...

Re: Using the gyros as flywheels - wouldn't they have to have a fair bit of weight to accomplish much? Anybody seen how heavy the controller is supposed to be?
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gyros would give some force feedback... but I think Jeff's right.... they'd have to be light which wouldn't really work for feedback.
Anyone know the resistance of rotation of a single axis gyro equation off the top of their head???
It's gotta be related to the basic equation of rotational inertia... Energy = 1/2 J w^2 where J is the second moment of inertia and w is the rotational velocity.... eh I dunno Razz. But I assume it's fairly small.
Also even if it wasn't small, you can't get sustained forces out of it. It's somewhat a velocity feedback not a displacement feedback.
I think it's control system is something on the order of: F = -|a| * x' (not including off axis rotation of the gyro.... that would make its dynamics quite hairy)
Force is inversely proportional to dx (velocity). 'a' would be proportional to mass and rotational velocity (since rotational velocity I assume can be controlled... this proportion is probably somewhat controllable...). Makes this a semi-passive damper system. Smile personally I don't think it'll work as a feedback system Razz

Anyone interested in a real dynamics analysis of this??? It can be done.... maybe we develop a working gyro force feedback controller... hmmmm Razz need sleep.
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven't seen it: The Revolution Teaser Video http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-09-21

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: