Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What r u reading/watching???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: What r u reading/watching??? Reply with quote

A lot of ppl here are into anime and mange. so what have u been reading or watching lately and is it good????

--Isaac Asimov
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Hina, of course! Very Happy (I still need to finish the very end of it, I'm waiting for the DVD's to come in, but by virtue of the fact that I purchased the DVDs and had the soundtrack playing on the ride back from AnimeNext, I'll leave it up to people's interpretation what thought of the series.)

I'm hoping to watch more of Ceres sometime soon as well. From what I've seen, it's got a nice plot and good artwork, but I never got past the first four episodes we watched in anime club. Confused
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Chronicles of Amber again... see that's a REAL book... no pictures. Razz
Who here has read that book about the mice I forget what it's called... it's the whole holocaust thingy but with mice. It was a nice book one of the few picture books I've read in a long while... I read it sevearl years ago.
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean Maus by Art Spiegleman?

At present...i'm between books...just finished a collection of Essays by Hunter Thompson...not sure whats next......haven't read much manga in a while...not really my type...mostly just Vertigo/DC comics......and some damn good stuff there......though as its mostly mini-stories there are a few too many to list...by the way...Endless Nights (the 7 short stories gaiman wrote, one for each of the endless) is pretty good...i'll likely get it when it hits paperback...but if anyone wants to check it out i've got a CBR file for it......among others...many others...

As for Anime...just finished off Last Exile...damn good...though a confusing/vauge ending......still watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex as it comes out...and waiting for the last 4 eps of Wolf's Rain to come out......and basicaly gave up on Texhnolyze for now......also currently following the Read or Die TV series as it comes out...sort of an odd parellel with the OVA...
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah Maus is a really really good one. I finaly got a nice hardcover version of it. Right now i'm reading X manga and just finished of chobits...i think after X i'll be done with all the curent clamp serious ones. I'm watching naia_7...i think that's how it spells...and space pirate mito and finishing off the Love Hina add-ons with Miranda. Other then that I'm also going through that book ben let me borrow about the 72 election, it's really good but I know very little of the history surounding it, so it's going slow for me...I think after I'm done with that i'm gona try to get bak into WOT and read the last book that I got...So I do still read "normal" books too... Laughing

--Isaac Asimov
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno - between the "normal" books and comic books, I have to give an A for patience to comic writers. (Of course, I like writing a lot more than drawing, so I'm probably being biased when I say this.) I think comic writers don't have to focus so much on description and helping the audience envision the scene like regular authors do, but they also have a lot to worry about between the page layout and stuff, which a regular author doesn't really concern themselves with. For myself, I like regular writing because I like the art of organizing the words and the dialouge and introducing my characters to teh audience through words. So this makes more easily impressed by manga and much pickier on regular reading.

And yes, I do remember Maus, or at least the premise of it because I was standing there when a certain someone bought the book. Rolling Eyes (*sighs* I really need to get back to reading of my own free will.)
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...since its been nearly 2 months......anyone reading or watching anything new and fun?......At the moment i'm following the anime series R.O.D. - The T.V.

A rather lighthearted action series taking place some time after the R.O.D. (Read or Die) OVA. A bit lighter than what i tend to watch, not a fantastic series, but still quite fun and well animated...if anyone is interested, when i get back home i could give'em a copy of some eps...up to #14 as it is......

I'd rather be watching the Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex episodes, but...the fansubbers seem on hold for that...so...here i am...stuck but 4-5 eps from the first season's conclusion......

As for reading...i've recently read through The Scar...a steam-punk novel written by China Mieville......as for those of you wondering what steam-punk is...think sci-fi but with older eras of technology...not quite medieval, but to a degree where the world could be sci-fi or a more tech-advanced fantasy sort of book depending on which way the story goes.........as for the story...i can't really do it justice...so i'll cop out and post the link to the amazon.com summary: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0345444388/reviews/002-0868020-1905663#03454443887299

And thats to say nothing of the endless stream of pirated comics......though worthy of note is a recently aquired ongoing series...the magnificent Powers...starting out as a sort of NYPD Blue or Law and Order in a world where there are superheros......the cops themsevles don't have superpowers but still have a job to do...tis well written and fun dialogue...now about to enter its third year......WHEE!!! Tis fun it is it is it is!

So......what is anyone else reading/watching?
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the Clone Wars animated thing? I saw a tiny bit of it earlier today... it's disgustingly bad I think... Obi Wan on a mechanical horse like vehicle with a lance... spearing through robots on robotic horse like vehicles... I think they took the knights in Jedi Knights too seriously...
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far i've seen the first ten mini-eps...the next ten are on in febuary i think...though cartoon network should be airing the first ten for a while.........i thought it was alright...not great...not much in the way of story...though given the nature of the self-labeled "Micro-series"...with each episode only lasting 3-4 minutes...its not all that bad...it could certainly be better...but as long as you don't take it too seriously it can be quite fun...
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any of the SW thing, but i don't really have any desire to either...as for what i'm reading watching it's not much, i think i have more or less paused on manga/anime stuff. I'm reading Tales of Alvin Maker by card right now. It's very very diferent from his previous stuff, the only thing i can really compare it to is Pastwatch:The redemption of Christofer Columbus. I really liked that one and this one, but they are different from his previous works and don't quiet feel like him, though, at least in the begining of Alvin a little hint of Ender comes through. For manga i'm about half way through X last time i read anything and i just finished rewatching Eva and will probably watch the ending movies things soon too...

Most of my time latly i've been playing FFX.....hehehehe that game is fun.

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needa read Alvin Maker sometime... James the plot a bit in a newspaper article... seems interesting.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't watch the Star Wars Clone Wars thing...i just can't. The animation is done as if in fast motion, the characters look rediculous, the names for things as well as species make no sence frequently....maybe this is my gripe with SW in general but then again i never liked SW much at all.

Not to mention the voice acting, oh the horror.

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So aside from Alvin Maker and the Clone Wars cartoon......anyone else been reading/watching anything?
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just watched the first four episodes of Haibane Renmei in anime club yesterday. Surprisingly, I really liked it. (Didn't think I would, since Lain kinda freaked me out and left me very confused for the most part.) Of course, I probably shouldn't say too much considering I've only been through the first four episodes, but I'm really curious to see the rest now.

I also got a new series Someday's Dreamers, though I haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet. (Go figure, we're watching that in anime club next time.)
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haibane Renmei is well worth watching...though, like Lain, it has a rather slow pace...

I just finished off the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex......while towards the end the plot got a bit convoluted (not helped by the fact that it was through several different fan-subbing groups) and there were a few too many "gotcha" style plot twists, i'd still say its well worth watching.
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figure i'd bring this topic bak again since i just started watching something new that's rather good. I'm into Full Metal Alchamist, i think it's going to be about 52 episodes and the fan subbers are around 30 now. When i got into it i thought it would only be 26, but it is very very good so it ok. If you haven't heard or it the basic summery is these two brothers try to bring bak their dead mother from the dead, things go very very badly and so the older brother has to give up his one arm and leg to save the younger who's soul he winds up placing inside a huge suit of armor...a family friend is a mechanic so the brother gets metal limbs to replace the lost ones, so u get cyborgish older brother and empty suit of armor younger trying to find a way to bring themselves bak to normal. They are both alchamists witch means they can transform objects into other objects...kinda like decompose things into melecular form and bring it bak...the real fun parts of the story is seeing the two brothers grow up and realize that their power won't help them all the time and they have to rely on eachother... The story is done in a very amusing manner, but it's also serious and sad and tragic one of characters who you begin to like winds up being changed into a half dog half her chemera by her dady and then she gets exploted from the inside....all the brothers find is a blood stain on the wall...the show is very very enjoyable and easily on of my top favs i'd strogly recomend...

so what's everyone else been watching...?

--Isaac Asimov
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trool wrote:
one of characters who you begin to like winds up being changed into a half dog half her chemera by her dady and then she gets exploted from the inside....all the brothers find is a blood stain on the wall...
Oh fine, you warn everyone else about that part. Rolling Eyes (j/k.) Actually, I really like the series too, I think a lot because it does have both a serious and comical side to it, and you do feel like the characters are facing some immenent danger as opposed to some generally evil force that you know they'll overcome without injury, simply because they're the heroes of the story.

I'm currently reading Basara by Yumi Tamura. The plot is that two twins are born (a boy and a girl) and a prophet decalres, "This is a child of destiny who will save us." Everyone assumes he means the boy, but then when he is killed in an attack, his sister (who looks very similiar) puts on his clothes, cuts her hair, and decalres to be her brother, so that her people won't lose hope. It's pretty good so far, but I'm not sure how long it is. The anime is only 13 episodes, which I'd like to watch eventually.

By the way, if anyone gets the chance to pick up Wild Com by the same author when the book comes out (it's a single volume) it has an excellent short-story manga with a very interesting twist at the end. (The first short story in the collection I didn't like as much mostly because it was setting up to be something much longer and cut off.)
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just found out today that full metal alchemist just got licensed to be shown on cartoon network sometime this fall and will be release on dvd's i'm assuming about that time. I guess it depends where they put it in their line up but hopefuly they won't kill it. But this means that funsubbers are not posting anymore legit ones. I'd like to get this on dvd when ever it comes out, but i ended watching on a bad part and wana find out more now...lol ohh well maybe i'll find some less legit places for it...

But for nice part square has made a game based on it that will be here in about a year, square games r usualy pretty good, but i have also very rarely seen good games come out of movie/anime licenses...so i guess i'd have to wait for that also...arg...i have no petience skill...lol

--Isaac Asimov
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think FMA's due date is right before my b-day, so early November.

I've also started watching Pretear, which is a pretty standard shoujo story, but not quite as tacky as other magical girl type anime. Basic premise is our heroine has just gone from a dirt-poor to a filthy rich one. What's more, she find out she is the Pretear, a magical being who can combine her powers with any of sevel elemental knights. (Called "preating" go figure.)

So far it's unsure of where the plot is going, but it's interesting enough that I plan to continue with it. (Hey, I should actually turn this into a Shiny Doom review. ^_^;Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Anime/Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: