Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florida bill aims to control ?leftist? profs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Florida bill aims to control ?leftist? profs Reply with quote

http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050323freedom.php
stupid f'ing bastards.

Ignorance is bliss and, with a laywer, can be profitable too.

Quote:
Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee voted along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out ?leftist totalitarianism? by ?dictator professors? in the classrooms of Florida?s universities.

Quote:
According to a legislative staff analysis of the bill, the law would give students who think their beliefs are not being respected legal standing to sue professors and universities.

Students who believe their professor is singling them out for ?public ridicule? ? for instance, when professors use the Socratic method to force students to explain their theories in class ? would also be given the right to sue.

Discuss...
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh this really pisses me off. The whole point of a university education is that the students are no longer kids to be protected and should take care of themselves. If you don't like what the proff is teaching you address the school and deal with this internaly....that does work, we as the students at drexel were able to get at least one prof dismissed cause he had no clue what he was doing. Sending this thing to the corts is the worst idea possible.

His example of what is suiable is also laughable:
Quote:
?Some professors say, ?Evolution is a fact. I don?t want to hear about Intelligent Design (a creationist theory), and if you don?t like it, there?s the door,?? Baxley said, citing one example when he thought a student should sue.

I mean if you wish to talk about creationism there are plenty religious based schools out there to go to. A point of a proff is that he challeges the students and confronts them directly with things that would not agree with them. Granted a lot of proffs fail at this and some that are teaching technical classes shouldn't really be doing that at all, but that goes to a totaly different problem with US college education system....

--Isaac Asimov
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... yeah... that's a bit ludicrous.

One of the best ways of learning is for people to challenge the ideas and things you've taken for granted and never tried to justify. Professors are not meant to be edited/approved text books, they are meant to present ideas in unique ways and challenge students.

The things that people are allowed to sue for in this country is outrageous; not only is this bad on that front, but it's another way for the law to control the education system.

I would like to have faith that the first time this shows up in court it is dismissed, but our track record for upholding idiocy is quite disturbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes talknig to professors helps and sometimes it doesn't. I had an experience with one professor who would go on long irrelvant tirades about what his politcal views and dislike of the church. Okay, if this is a political class or a religon class, fine, let's talk. But it was an education class. Sometimes it would be an hour before he said anything relating to education. I tried to talk to him that his comments were innappropriate (and frankly irrelevant) but the most I got out of it was whenever he thought he would say something offensive, he would prelude it with "I don't mean to insult anybody, but..."

However...
Unless the professor is dishing out some serious verbal abuse or opening trying to deface a student on campus, it can't really be compensated for. Yeah, my professor pissed me off, and I warned every student I met not to take him, but I shouldn't be able to sue him for it. If he had actually threated me, that would be another story. But he was just a jerk and now I have a prime example of how not to treat my students. With any luck, he'll rack up enough complaints to either change his attitude or get a new job.

As far as creation vs. evolution goes, college students have to expect they're going to run up against controversy. I do not think professors have the right to claim creationism as false in the classroom setting. It should either be agknowledged as a point of view or not discussed. To me, there needs to be a certain level of acceptance that some people believe this is how it happened, and others do not. Students should not be mocked just because they disagree with the professor. But this goes true for any classroom setting.
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrina wrote:
I do not think professors have the right to claim creationism as false in the classroom setting. It should either be agknowledged as a point of view or not discussed.

If a student raises the issue (thus precluding the 'not discussed' option) does not the professor have the right to point out that it lacks supporting evidence and has no more scientific basis than any other creation myth, which is to say none?
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jastermereel wrote:
If a student raises the issue (thus precluding the 'not discussed' option) does not the professor have the right to point out that it lacks supporting evidence and has no more scientific basis than any other creation myth, which is to say none?

If a student raises the isssue they should know they are opening themselves up for a controversial discussion and should not nessesarily expect the professor to agree. (As a matter of fact they should expect the opposite) However, Christains would argue that there is supporting evidence for creation or at the very least creator-directed evolution simply due to the fact that something cannot come from nothing, which is basically what the big bang theory hindges on. (I'm not trying to start a discussion on whether it's valid or not, I'm just saying there are counterarguments.) A decent professor would handle the situation by stating their opinion as just that, opinion. ie "I personally feel that there is more evidence for.. blah blah blah... but others may feel differently" and end it there. If they think the student's faith is pointless, that's their feeling and they should keep it to themselves. At its core, it's simply a matter of respect for the students you are teaching.
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say, hypothetically, that this student wasn't Christian and was instead......lets see...how about a flat earther? They are rare but they do exist. If the student raises the issue, lets say in an astronomy or geology class, should the teacher express that its a valid point of view saying something like, "I personally feel that the earth is round. Thats is how I was raised and told by my parents and teachers. Others, however feel that it is flat. I don't agree but there is certainly nothing wrong with that." Now, despite the absurd nature of even the begining of it (I feel that the earth is round) if the student insists on using their belief system as fact in their work, what should the teacher do? Should someone become an astrophysisist without even that basic understanding of the way things work?
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see how these two scenarios are related. We have conrete proof the world is round. We've gone up into space and seen it. We've also gone around the world, which means it has to be a circle. We do not have any conrete proof however that an intellgient creator either exists or does not exist. Therefore, however right we think we are. we still owe some respect to people who think the earth came about in a different way. Isn't this what we call tolerance that we seem so keen on pushing nowadays?

If I happened to have a student such as you were describing who was very insistant on their beliefs, I would simply end it at, "For the sake of this class, we are going to assume that the world is round."
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrina wrote:
I do not see how these two scenarios are related. We have conrete proof the world is round. We've gone up into space and seen it. We've also gone around the world, which means it has to be a circle. We do not have any conrete proof however that an intellgient creator either exists or does not exist. Therefore, however right we think we are. we still owe some respect to people who think the earth came about in a different way. Isn't this what we call tolerance that we seem so keen on pushing nowadays?

If I happened to have a student such as you were describing who was very insistant on their beliefs, I would simply end it at, "For the sake of this class, we are going to assume that the world is round."

Theres no proof it's round. That's all a hoax, same as the moon landing. You have no legitimate proof. Besides, even if you do have this 'proof' are you disrespecting those people's beliefs? However right you think you are with this round earth stuff, don't you owe some respect to people who know the earth to be flat? Simply saying "For the sake of the class, we are going to assume that [you are wrong]." seems rather disrespectful indeed. I hope you don't become a teacher lest they sue you for speaking badly of their belief system. Where is your tolerance there?
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jastermereel wrote:
Theres no proof it's round. That's all a hoax, same as the moon landing. You have no legitimate proof. Besides, even if you do have this 'proof' are you disrespecting those people's beliefs? However right you think you are with this round earth stuff, don't you owe some respect to people who know the earth to be flat? Simply saying "For the sake of the class, we are going to assume that [you are wrong]." seems rather disrespectful indeed. I hope you don't become a teacher lest they sue you for speaking badly of their belief system. Where is your tolerance there?

Yes I do plan on being a teacher, and frankly, I plan on being a good one. Very Happy (Besides, if I do get sued, I can write a book about the stupidity of our court system and makes lots of money for it.)

Back on topic, though, asking a student to say, find the area of the earth as if the planet was round is different than saying "you are wrong/stupid/ect." Even if I don't believe in evolution, I can still participate in a science class that discusses genetics and/or natural selection. All I'm saying is I don't think a professor has the right to shove around their opinions as fact on what is still considered an open-ended topic.

I'm ending my side of the argument at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: