Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Team and Red Team Too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Red Team and Red Team Too Reply with quote

Got invitation to Qualifiers Smile
I've actually got an integral part of the team. I'm one of 3 people redoing the real time controls for the Sandstorm and a tinybit for highlander. These are low level controllers for steering, braking, acceleration, inputs of driver (if there is one) and from remote controls, estop controls... etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/robotics/2005-02-09-red-robots-racing_x.htm
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay congrats....r u going to go with the team?

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sir, I didn't go. I had class at the time.
New update!!!
Sandstorm (my vehicle) just completed an endurance test of 200 mi autonomous on road with a few obstacles.
No doubt, this isn't a real test of it's desert traversing skills... but it's a start.
Here's a video
http://www.redteamracing.org/index.cfm?method=videos.view&videoID=68
notice how the gimble (the big ball on top) will look ahead (turn when it expects a curve in the road) to see what to expect.... cool eh?
This is a good test of the basic hardware and basic software... now it just needs some desert test to really stress it and check how well it's new vision and obstacle avoidance and 'road' following capabilities are. Very Happy... it's easy to make them work on a real road... but when in the desert... there are no roads and there are tons of bushes, and sometimes there are no clear path!!! So excited to see how we do.
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
H1ghlander Rolled!!! Seems like none of our racers will get to race day without rolling over once or twice Razz

That's what you get when you run a vehicle near it's operating limits in unknown terrain. Hummers and Humvees aren't all that stable.... the 175mi in 10 hrs doesn't seem tough... averaging 17.5 mph however... this is open terrain with 'hairpin curves'. Both vehicles have been able to beat a human driver in most of these offroad 'desert' courses.

Highlander IS back on its feet though.

On a lighter note: Sandstorm attacked a tree branch (these vehicles are made for desert runs and does NOT look for overhangs or other obstacles from above). It survived with minor (cosmetic) damage... the tree overhang didn't fare so well.

New video from a 200mi endurance test IN THE DESERT!!!

Look at the initial slope!!!
http://www.redteamracing.org/index.cfm?method=videos.view&videoID=87

Looks nice.... starting to really come together. BTW - there has been no hardware upgrades/changes (other than fixes) since I left. There was only software tweaking since then.
Lets see us win!!! Very Happy
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the next competition held?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/8/05
<2 weeks Very Happy
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made CNN front page links Very Happy
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/26/robotrace.ap/index.html
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<1 week left to go.

This week is all qualifiers.... we expect to run both vehicles around 4X.

Friday - both vehicles missed a few gates and one failed an obstacle. In terms of that, we were 'beat out' by around 5 competitors. However, speed's another issue. Of all the successful runs were were far quicker than all competitors (both vehicles).

Saturday - Our two vehicles were two of the 4 that ran perfect runs (all obstacles and all gates). Of the four, Sandstorm, Highlander, and Stanley (stanford's team... great robot) ran sub 10 minutes. We had the #1 and #3 spot with Stanley sandwiched.

So far, it seems like about 15 teams might be serious contenders. However, I think only about 5 or so (including our two) will be fighting for the fastest times. Stanley being the closest competitor.... it's based on a VW Touareg Diesel. It's an amazing vehicle if you haven't seen it before.... super high HP super high Torque for a stock vehicle. I am curious to see how it runs in the race, it's not really designed to be 'all terrain' while our hummer and humvee pretty much is made for this....

Oh yea... we're not the biggest, TerraMax probably has that title.... they ran quite well Razz

David and Goliath was the caption.... That's Ghostrider, I believe the only dirt bike one, unfortunatley did not finish either of the qualifier runs so far (but then again... most didnt)

Still trying to find that image where Sandstorm meets TerraMax in our test site Smile...

Exciting!!!
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that's a big automated vehicle... I'd hate to see that thing driving towards me Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday:
Sandstorm set the pace, nicking only one cone out of a hundred and passing all traps and obstacles (including one car!!!).
Later, Stanley beat Sandstorm's time... but
H1ghlander came out again as the top vehicle. Beating Stanley's time with a perfect run (within 2 seconds of the 'ideal' time based on maximum speeds allowed in these qualifiers)

Again for this day... I think Sanstorm, H1ghlander, and Stanely holds the top three spots.
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander was top dog in semi's so it'll run first 6AM on Saturday morning!!!
Stanley will run #2 and Sandstorm runs #3!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/10/06/robotrace.ap/index.html

Live webcast at www.grandchallenge.org !!!
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far 3 teams finished!!! I don't think the last 3 who are left will finish in the 10 hr limit.
Official scores/times have NOT be released!!! However, Stanley crossed the finish line first, followed by Highlander and Sandstorm (within approximately 10 minutes of each other).

rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray team also finished early evening. Terramax (giant yellow truck) is still running as of this morning Very Happy. Slow and steady.

They should factor in payload size too.... Stanley can't hold much more than maybe 2000 lbs (probably half of that is already used up as computers/equipment), Sandstorm and Highlander can probably hold up to around 5000 lbs, Terrmax can hold 7 tons offroad and 15 tons onroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: