Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i shall call it mini-PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: i shall call it mini-PC Reply with quote

this is pretty nifty and the price point they r going for is rather cheap, though i don't think i trust the battery life they r quoting. This is pretty much a palm sized fully functional pc, tiny keyboard, but 20gig 1ghz and 256RAM, that's rather impressive for the size, enjoy the video:

http://news.com.com/1606-2-5222650.html

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was chatting with my friend about this before. Although this is new and interesting it's more just bringing together long (or semilong) existing technologies.
The Crusoe chip is definately not new. That company tried to compete with Intel and VIA in the ultra portable ultra long battery life notebook competition several years ago. Crusoe claims to be at 800 or 1ghz but in reality it is quite slow in many tests. It is however very low power drain and very low heat. Which is why in the article they claim to have 'solved' those problems... they were mostly solved when the crusoe first came out several years ago. They were slaughtered by Centrino... maybe they'll fare better this time.
Micro harddrives have also been around for quite a while... a 20gb might be kinda new to the market (months???) but still it's not revolutionary anymore.
I don't know what memory this thing uses but sodimm memory could fit in a palm sized computer.
Personally I don't believe this will do very well unless their prices (including the desktop like docking port) comes down even more. I think it will stir the industry up which is really good but not make too many sales. Seems like Chibi Tablet PC Razz.

I think advances in Human Computer interaction needs to be made. The screen is so small on these things... Non Standard sized keyboards are cumbersome and even touchpads aren't always that great, especially on a small screen. Imagine trying to edit a photo or play a game. Even something as simple as trying to do a word document would be difficult in my opinion... nothing like a regular desktop where u get high resolution and don't have to be 4" from the screen to see stuff.
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly enough slashdot was carrying an article about the sony competitor, i didn't know there were that many in the game...

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/notebooks/sony_vaio_U50.htm

this one seems very similar with similar specs, but it can come with a celeron or centrino. But i agree these r a tad bit pricy, i think if one was around 1500-2000 it would probably do pretty well. One thing i'm surpriced is that no one is using the tabletPC XP, but just the normal kind for these devices, not sure why. From what i gleened from the article the sony one is an import for 2600, wonder if it does come over here how much it would be....

I think eventualy the lure of really having all ur data with you no matter what is appealing enough to some ppl to get the little things.

--Isaac Asimov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: