Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

19th century bots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: 19th century bots Reply with quote

this is a pretty cool site for ppl interested in robotics.

http://www.bigredhair.com/robots/index.html

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting... although I would argue if it was the first... it depends on your definition of a robot. Here's the mechanical duck I was telling you about...

http://www.swarthmore.edu/Humanities/pschmid1/essays/pynchon/vaucanson.html
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya... this was discussed in my class... although it is an amazing achievement cause the dynamics of the robot is very complicated....
However I think the current Japanese mechanical designs have not improved much. They're all still Asimo like.... they solved problems Asimo has in achieving running or jumping by shrinking the robot...
Although the dynamics of the system is really quite impressive to be able to calculate... I think we need a more self balancing or self correcting mechanism or electromechanism. We do not have to recalculate exactly every electrical signal to our body parts every time we want to move. I'm still waiting to see the next generation of bipeds. It should be very interesting...
However I sometimes wonder as to why we are focusing so much on bipedals... It's 'cool' to make it look like us and also our homes and stuff are built for bipeds, also other things like more efficient over long distances, but still I think for most practical applications currently, more legs are good... at least for redundancy. I've seen hexapods jump, climb, dig, and do a lot more stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: