Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self Drawing ciruits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Self Drawing ciruits Reply with quote

this sounds kinda neat, though i don't think i fully understand the article, what i did get sounds pretty cool..Smile

http://news.com.com/2100-7337_3-5114066.html?tag=nefd_pop

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not directly related... I've read a bit about self assembly stuff. You probably heard about the chemistry way to do it... first setting up gold contacts on a plate in a certain orientation through eletricity. So each gold atom is arranged perfectly on a plate then attaching the next atom by shaking it up with another particle... perhaps realligning them using electricity again... etc until you get the correct sequence of atoms. This can be done without the plate also.. just 'shaking up' the atoms so by reaching their lowest energy states they can create a circuit.

One new intersting one that I've heard about is for assembling micro mechanical components. They've done this using cubes that are slightly indented on one side (receptors) and small protrusion on opposite side. they just place these nano scale objects in a cube and shake them. Due to surface and electrostatic forces the equilibrium combination is for the receptors to meet with the protrusions (surface area is maximum). In this way they are able to assemble somewhat simple nano particles but requires incredible machining capability.

Another way that I've seen that isn't self assembly but makes assembly simple is by printing complex 3d objects in the form of metal plates arranged with simple hinges that can be assembled similar to a popup book. They basically use MEMS (micro electomechanical systems) technology to first etch out the metal plates in a precise positioning on a metal plate. Print on the hinges using polymers (still not very good at this time) and then manually assemble it by bending at the hinges... very cool idea I think. They've built several complex towers that are millemeters in height.

Please refer to my webpage's documents I will include a nice comprehensive list of the nano/micro robots or technology as gathered by myself and my class. I will upload this sometime in the next few weeks... remind me if I forget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: