Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modeling physical things on computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Modeling physical things on computer Reply with quote

I think some of you know I'm taking a class called Numerical Methods right now. It's really quite fun modeling real things on the computer. I recently accomplished a simple program that models an object on a string given different initial conditions. Maybe you'll find this interesting... cause I certainly do.

http://www.qualityimporting.com/public/temp/output.wrl

it's a VRML File... you need a plugin. Virtual Reality Modeling Language
http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/

If you're interested this is created using Runge Kutta 4th (Classic Runge Kutta) which is the same method most analysis programs use to integrate functions numerically and even to model other functions.
Do you guys know what True Type Fonts use? They're all based on functions I know that but... anyone know how it's modeled?
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, that file is done for approx 100 seconds with an integration iteration every 0.01 seconds. It takes 4 slope approximations to calculate the next step and it also uses 6 state equations, x,y,z, vx, vy,vz. Therefore it's at least 40000 slope functions * approximately 20 calculations for each. So I would say it's in the order of 10^5 or 10^6th calculations.
So that is a mass of 1kg gravity of 9.8m/s^2 spring constant of 10N/m initial spring length of 2m. Also the spring is attached to 0,0,0.
It is done with initial conditions of x = 1, y = -2 (downwards), z=0, vx=0 vy=0 vz=1m/s.

Interesting right? There are some that don't repeat so much but this is an interesting pattern.
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's a single equation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.
It's based on basically two forces right now, Gravity and spring force. So you get 3 equations at first, Force in x = blah force in y = blay force in z = blah. However you don't plot forces (accelerations) so from those three equations u get can break it down into 6 first order equations (only one derivative) from those you can get the position at any point in time. It's too complicated a problem to get an exacct answer to. You need an iterative process to model it.
I have been playing with it to give it like a wind blowing on it once in a while to see how it moves... and it's actually quite interesting to see it swinging in the wind.
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.
It's based on basically two forces right now, Gravity and spring force. So you get 3 equations at first, Force in x = blah force in y = blay force in z = blah. However you don't plot forces (accelerations) so from those three equations u get can break it down into 6 first order equations (only one derivative) from those you can get the position at any point in time. It's too complicated a problem to get an exacct answer to. You need an iterative process to model it.
I have been playing with it to give it like a wind blowing on it once in a while to see how it moves... and it's actually quite interesting to see it swinging in the wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: