Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SETI @ Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

SETI@Home Group?
YES
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
NO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: SETI @ Home Reply with quote

SETI stands for Search for extra terrestrial intelligence. Who still runs this program on their computer?
Those of you who don't know, it runs in the background mainly and uses up the procoessing when you aren't using it (websurfing, document making...etc does not use very much processing but you might wanna shut it off when playing intensive games).
Was wondering if you guys wanted to start a SETI group... if enough of us are interested and active on doing this we might be able to make it up the ranks a bit within the next few months... All of us combined probably have more than 2 dozen computers. Just a thought.
www.setiathome.com
Please respond if you want to do this.
We'll do it if 6 or more respond... otherwise it doens't matter anyways Razz
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I tried to run it many years ago when I first got my 900mhz computer (thinking the thing was blazing fast at the time), and I never got it to stop processing while I was doing work... maybe that's fixed by now. At the moment I don't really run my desktop or notebook all the time. If I'm already processor-paranoid enough to not run anti-virus stuff, I don't think I wanna put SETI in the background either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why ru processor paranoid? Processors are made to run around 10 years without overclocking... by that time a processor's basically worthless anyways. I have yet to have a processor die on me... and you know I do some overclocking. Also I commonly work with AMD's over intels which is normally less reliable.... I guess if you do have heat problems I wouldn't run it (increasing heat shortens lifespan of cpu significantly...) but otherwise there shouldn't be any problems with cpu's dyeing.... I currently have it running on my 2400+ and also my 600 Celeron notebook. I used to have it run on my Tbird 1.4 also but I sentthat one home.
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i was running it...but somehow it appears it isn't any more...i'll have to start up again......thanks for the reminder Very Happy
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the fact my last AMD has virtually died, I meant processor-paranoid as in I don't want anything running while I'm using the computer that absolutely doesn't have to... especially if it takes RAM. My notebook is only on when I'm using it; I guess I could run it on my desktop, but I usually come in a couple times through the day to it, and I need instant access to it, and I can't wait for some program to settle down and let me start using the computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be curious to run it, but on my home comps i almost never go online is there a way to send the processed data over another way...?

--Isaac Asimov
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually only connects briefly every 8-20 hrs (dependong on the speed of your processor) it takes that long to process one data packet. You can set it up to only continue when you go online then it iwll upload results and download new data (fairly small file).
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure i'll try it then....

--Isaac Asimov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: