Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ben's Group Character Creation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> D&D Randomness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pro that as well. Should be a good start.

--Isaac Asimov
HyperFerret
Horrible Luck
Horrible Luck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that is an interesting idea about mementos. it would only make sense that Naomi have a pic of her son with her.

As far as her recognizing Kale the idea I have can also tie in with the above.

Naomi and her husband both had matching lockets with each other's and their son's picture in them. The locket is like the equivalent of a wedding ring-very high sentimental value and not ever taken off kinda thing. When Kaiden was killed the crimson talons took his locket as proof and gave it to Kale as a trophy.

If Naomi saw it on him, that could be how she recognizes him. Also, I'm assuming her husband told her about his father so she might know some physical attributes from that. Say, for instance, that Kaiden looked a great deal like him.

Does this idea work?
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

What sort of picture? I ask not as a gameplay function (roll 2d4 to find out the quality and the medium used!) but out of curiosity. Picture lockets, especially sans photos, seem a bit of a luxury for a merc.
The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
HyperFerret
Horrible Luck
Horrible Luck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haden't thought about that. What mediums are there in this world? Are photos used or is it painted portraits?

I more or less picked a photo so that the other party members could learn what her son looked like, in case they see him.

As far as her getting the locket set the shifter clan could have stolen them. Or perhaps Naomi and Kaiden got them as a wedding gift from a wealthy ally?

This was just one idea. If having a photo doesn't work I'll think of something else. Just let me know.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyperFerret wrote:
I haden't thought about that. What mediums are there in this world? Are photos used or is it painted portraits?

I more or less picked a photo so that the other party members could learn what her son looked like, in case they see him.

As far as her getting the locket set the shifter clan could have stolen them. Or perhaps Naomi and Kaiden got them as a wedding gift from a wealthy ally?

This was just one idea. If having a photo doesn't work I'll think of something else. Just let me know.

To have a photo, you'd need a camera. You'd either have to have artistic talent yourself or have commisioned that of someone else in the world to paint or draw it. At the size of a locket, I'd imagine it'd be drawn.
The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those whom I've been discussing character sheets with...I'm actually not sure now why we can't go on using the same ones we've been using. I know I had a reason, but I can't figure it out now.

So to that duo, thanks for the alternative ideas! - One free "enemy misses you" for ya' both.

But, to that duo, why couldn't you argue me out of the need to find alternatives? - One free "enemy hits you!" for ya' both!

That said, is it possible to export the sheets from Numbers to a Windows readable format? Even as a PDF or some such? I'd rather not print out a second set for reference if possible.
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can output to pdf fine, just not excel. It tries to, but can't figure out how to position all of the table cells correctly and, while the final sheet does work, it doesn't really look like anything one could use.

--Isaac Asimov
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't have need to edit the sheets, so PDFs should be just fine.

Edit: Also, while I plan on using printed initiative cards, would this be of any use to Mogri in the other game? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123772
HyperFerret
Horrible Luck
Horrible Luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are going to think this is silly but can I knock down Naomi's weight to about 160?
As things stand now she is a bit overweight for a stealth based char. Not that shedding pounds will magically affect my dice rolls.

That would be sweet. : P
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyperFerret wrote:
I know you are going to think this is silly but can I knock down Naomi's weight to about 160?
As things stand now she is a bit overweight for a stealth based char. Not that shedding pounds will magically affect my dice rolls.

That would be sweet. : P

Feel free. I'd mentioned, though not all that clearly at the time, that we didn't have to use the random roll system. I've not seen many, if any, occasions where the weight (rather than the size modifier) is used.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can each of the players submit a character image? I'm looking for a head-shot to serve as an icon on a battle map. Ennostiel's image from the profile posting should work. If you don't want to make one, I can easily grab one of the images from the handbooks, but I thought I'd suggest a personalized option first.
HyperFerret
Horrible Luck
Horrible Luck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some sketches. They aren't very good though. I'm bad at coloring on the pc.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the standing image request (no hurry for those without; I've got stand-ins), I'd like players to keep in mind what sort of enhancements they'd like to get as loot starts to appear.

We've not really played much with assorted armor/weapon/tools before, but I'm starting to transcribe the loot for the next few steps of the adventure and would like to know what people might be interested in.

I realize it may be too early for people to really get a sense of how they want to play their character, so I'm not asking for a list of ideas or anything like that; just keep the idea in mind when playing and give me some feedback.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Naomi

I found where the idea of getting two shifter traits appears (the page after the one we were looking at) and, after consulting an outside source, I'm inclined to give you the other one. Remind me on Saturday and we can revise your sheet.
HyperFerret
Horrible Luck
Horrible Luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeet!!!
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just encoded and uploaded to an FTP server what we recorded of the game last night. Got the file down to 86.4M for a little over 3 hours. Hit me up on AIM or ask me next week for all the login info.

The quality is not terrible and you can mostly make out what everyone is saying, including some bits from Tyler's group. Though that's my impression from the first few minutes.

--Isaac Asimov
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re The Loot:

Again, just a standing question...how would you prefer to handle loot:

A. exclusively as a "this is what you find/are rewarded with" setup where I try to pick a mix of items relevant to your builds and tangential to expand you options...

or

B. A mix of option A and you actively requesting either a specific item (for those with the relevant books) or a kind of item ("I'd like a bonus to doing X").

Again, no hurry, as the immediate loot will likely be along the lines of A exclusively, but as we progress, I'd like to know what, if any, B-type loot might be of interest.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again Re: the Loot

This time around, I handed out the cards with all the information about the item on them. What could have been an odd silver scarab was instead an "odd silver scarab that, if thrown would yadayadayada". The rules would suggest you might need to get the bard to cast Identify in the future (when away from some merchants who likely already know what they're carrying).
We can discuss that matter more later, but it's a distinct possibility that you may not necessarily know what it is you've picked up in the future.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So we've been at it for a while now. I'm renewing the call for feedback.

We've been through a few different types of encounters, both social and combat, and in a small variety of settings. As the next chapter is still in flux, I'm open to requests. I've got a general idea of what I'm going to throw at you and pile of notes, but if there's anything you've particularly enjoyed, now's the time for requests.

Also, how did people feel about the shopping? I'm thinking next time (provided I funnel you more wealth to make it feasible), I'm going to have a fairly decent stock of items and just let you browse through'em. This time I put something specific into your hands as it seemed a bit better than your plans and wouldn't just get drained like a set of potions would, but are there other interests? Specific items? Heck, has anyone browsed the Magic Item Compendium?

Are there any issues you'd like to address? Problems with the style thus far? I'm not a fan of flying blind. Feedback, people! Let's have some!
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally liked the pace so far. I especially enjoyed the calzone monster thing because it made us change up tacktics a bit. I thought the kobols were kind of easy, but I liked how the terrain played a factor in how hard they were to hit. This will sound a bit suicidal, but I think what would have made that encounter better would have been if the ones hiding in the other room would have come out in the middle of the battle and tried to flank us while miranda and anna were engaged across the room. It would have forced interesting bedlam I think.

I'd like to see more sneaking missions where my facinate and luluby things may be useful. Also it could be fun to face something we have to be more cautious and runaway/avoid instead of facing head on.

You've started to hint at it already, but it may be about time to show what the merchants we are traveling with are really about. I'm assuming it isn't something as simple as they've said so far.

Other than that I'd like to see more out of combat stuff, but that's mostly because my character is geared toward those things better, but I have enjoyed combat so far so that's not a huge deal on my end.

As for stuff to get I'm always more pro the weird things. I like the belt I have and I'm pro more things that would make niss a better support character. Other than that I don't see him trying very hard to upgrade his weapons or armor, he doesn't really think that far, just more shiny stuff

Hope that all helps.

--Isaac Asimov
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trool wrote:
I thought the kobols were kind of easy, but I liked how the terrain played a factor in how hard they were to hit. This will sound a bit suicidal, but I think what would have made that encounter better would have been if the ones hiding in the other room would have come out in the middle of the battle and tried to flank us while miranda and anna were engaged across the room. It would have forced interesting bedlam I think.

Agreed on the Kobolds, though if the other 5 had flanked from the other room and not had miserable attack rolls, it could have gone the other way. As it was, they were rolling below 10 the vast majority of the time and some rounds resembled the barbarian's epic run of 1s and 2s.

The second wave was meant to be aided by the dire weasel in the way you describe, but that was too little too late. My dice are still player sympathetic from their earlier days. I may have to get a new set that's more cruel to PCs.

But, in that fight, adding more would have made sense as a toughening option. I sort of like 4E's ideas about "minions" where they hit like normal monsters, but are almost certainly one hit kills, thus you can have a fair sized mob that the players are threatened by, but can wade through. If I just added hitpoints to them would challenge some people without changing the tactics for our Doderan friend.
Trool wrote:

I'd like to see more sneaking missions where my facinate and luluby things may be useful. Also it could be fun to face something we have to be more cautious and runaway/avoid instead of facing head on.

That, actually, is one of the set pieces I had in mind for the next chapter. Not to say it won't come up before then, but that's certainly going to play a major element. Of course, that really depends on how the situation is handled. Yes, if the foes are willing to fight to the death and have seen you, it's hard to avoid combat, but I'm hoping to involve more situations where one or both of those doesn't happen.

EDIT: That said, when rolling mine carts through echoing mines or even just opening doors, unless said otherwise, it's assumed to be less than optimally stealthy.
Trool wrote:

You've started to hint at it already, but it may be about time to show what the merchants we are traveling with are really about. I'm assuming it isn't something as simple as they've said so far.

*Nods knowingly* though they've been handy in stringing together Level 2's player absence/traveling DM/jetlag "arc". We should see what happens as that draws to a close in the future.
Trool wrote:

Other than that I'd like to see more out of combat stuff, but that's mostly because my character is geared toward those things better, but I have enjoyed combat so far so that's not a huge deal on my end.

Aye, though you've proven to be quite dangerous in the para-combat realm (summon angry mob Shocked) and if you roll like that again, the merchants may have to adapt their sales tactics.

That said, feel free to start up in character chats with anyone PC or NPC to see what you can learn. I'm not saying you'll learn everything right away, even with a good roll, but I think things might play out better overall if some things develop through players taking initiative than the DM trotting out the story piece by piece.

I can keep coming up with prompts if you're this agreeable to them, but I wouldn't mind having to adapt a bit to player actions from time to time.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick questions for all in my group:

Question 1
Level Adjustment generally isn't worth it. Even the best LA+1 races become a bit of a handicap as you get into the higher levels. Being level 3 (2+1 for some) this isn't really a problem yet, but I thought I'd suggest a solution if the problem arose.

If playing strictly by the rules (and using calculated XP totals to level), those that have LA can use a "buy-off" system and remove a single level adjustment every three levels; that is, at level 3, a player with a +1 LA, could give up some of their XP and drop the penalty, count as a lower level character (level 3, instead of 3+1) and level slightly faster so as to eventually catch up to those without any LA at all.

Since we're not playing with XP totals, I was wondering how people felt about an alternate system. Some time in the future, say around level five or later, we could drop the LA and just have that duo rise to the same level as everyone else instead of being 1 behind. To compensate for the boost, the other duo could have their pick of a DM approved feat or specialized magical item.

We've got plenty of time to discuss if this would be necessary, a good idea, or at all useful; I just figured it would make sense to start talking about it before we needed to talk about it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Angry rebuttals?

Question 2

Action Points

Eberron, one of the alternate settings in the worlds of D&D introduced a new mechanic to the game and I was curious if people wanted to try it out.

Essentially, at each level you have a pool of "Action Points". You have a set small number to use (6 at level 3, for example) that, in a pinch, you could use too add a boost to a die roll you make. Essentially it's the power of being the hero of the narrative. There are various rules as to when/how you use them, but most of the time it happens by adding a single d6 to a d20 roll before you find out the result.

Say Adrian was swinging the Large Great Sword around and gets, with the BAB added in, an 18 to hit a rather menacing foe. Worried that it could delivering a killing blow if it lives, and unsure if the 18 hits, M could spend an action point, roll a d6 and add the result to the 18 before I say whether it hits or misses to help ensure that the monster dies before slaying a party member.

The rules don't look that complicated but it's another thing to keep track of, even if it's only done by granting each player a small handful of Mancala stones when they level. Does this sound at all interesting to anyone or just another nuisance to deal with?

P.S. Unlike most other rule mechanics, this one is only for PCs. Everywhere else, anything you can do as a PC, I can do as a DM, but I am barred (more or less) from using the tactic to enhance those you fight.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions still stand, but in the unfortunate event that anyone's character should die, I found a few more background guides:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19713850/The_Ten-Minute_Background--Post_your_characters!
http://hubpages.com/hub/Better-Roleplaying-through-DD-Character-Background-Creation
http://www.roleplayingpro.com/2009/04/01/class-based-character-backgrounds-for-dd/
http://www.roleplayingpro.com/2009/07/22/building-memorable-dd-characters-backgrounds/

If anyone does end up dead, we'll likely need to collaborate on the history more as the world becomes more defined. Hopefully we won't lose anyone in the next few sessions (though next weekend looks to be a little dangerous, what with you entering a local lord's base of operations).

In any case, I'd love to hear responses to the two questions and should see you all in nine days or so.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since people seemed interested, or at least, not against the idea of Action Points, we can use them next time. You lot are in a bit of a tough spot and a slight edge might not be unwarranted. The rules are simple, and I'll try to have a way to keep track of them. Among other things, you can use them to get an extra use of some class features...including rage.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

Marisol, could you post your character information here (as much as seems reasonable at present)?

I thought I'd also use this space for the level 5 shopping spree. I'll probably pester you individually through email and IM, but it might be good to keep track of it publicly.

Niss, you're largely settled with what you've got, are you? Naomi, you'd wanted a pack of 10 standard bolts and a healing belt like Niss has? Adrian and Marisol, what are your plans?

The DMG suggests that at level 5 you've got around 9000 of treasure. I think some of the random rolls on Saturday threw some of that out of whack a bit...so we'll see how that goes. It also suggests as follows:
Quote:
As a general rule, a new character can spend no more than half
her total wealth on a single item, and no more than one quarter
the total wealth on consumables such as ammunition, scrolls,
potions, wands, or alchemical items.

That won't be a rule written in stone, but it doesn't seem all that bad either. So, while you might be entitled to a fair deal of wealth (and wealth catch-up for many), don't sell off your whole inventory to get access to a single strong item.

I suspect the next level will involve a bit of...evening out...of the wealth a bit too. So, everyone, get a wish list ready. You may not get an exact item (D&D isn't The Secret) but give me a sense of what you'd like and I'll see if the world might have some of those in your path...or at a store along the way.

Last edited by Jastermereel on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm good for now.

--Isaac Asimov
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting as requested, spell list also below. Will post picture eventually.

Marisol

1) Occupation and History -- Marisol was sold to a forced labor group by her god parents after her parents were killed in a land grab. The group largely travels between towns, hiring out the kids for labor and/or sending them out to steal and beg. She escaped from the group when she was 12 and has been surviving by begging/stealing since and odd jobs.
2) Physical description -- Short for her age, but with long wavy hair usually worn in two pigtails. She has four arms.
3) Attributes and skills (exceptional ones only) -- Can usually talk herself to a meal and a bed with various childish tall tales and lies.
4) Values and motivations -- She's mostly trying to survive and get better at her sorcerer abilities. She strives to never be helpless again.
5) Interactions with others -- She can become quite familiar with strangers in a short time. Sometimes this is service of a ulterior motive and sometimes it is genuine. She's usually energetic and has a hard time keeping to a topic of conversation. She tends to reflexively project an innocent child-like personality as a defense mechanism and can be prone to crying.
6) Useful knowledge -- Has been to a lot of towns and has some knowledge of the criminal elements relating to forced labor because of her past.
7) Distinguishing feature -- has 4 arms

Spells chosen so far:

Lvl 0
-------
Mage Hand
Light
Ghost Sound
Dancing Lights

Lvl 1
-------
Mage Armor
Mount
Summon Monster I
Unseen Servant
Orb of Acid, Lesser
Orb of Electricity, Lesser
Orb of Cold, Lesser

Lvl 2
-------
Summon Monster II
Scorching Ray
False Life
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Bear's Endurance

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> D&D Randomness All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: