Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Written thing of the day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Written thing of the day Reply with quote

I think this is pretty old, but the first time I ran across it:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/its-decorative-gourd-season-motherfuckers

--Isaac Asimov
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moby Dick Big Read:
http://www.mobydickbigread.com/
A chapter a day read by someone different. I don't recognize most of the names, but those that do (like Tilda Swinton and Stephen Fry) suggest it's worth a good listen.
The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 8 - The Twitter Feed:
https://twitter.com/TNG_S8

Which brought me to the Troy and Abed in Engineering Tumblr Feed:
http://troyandabedinengineering.tumblr.com/
The similarities are undeniable
The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of the Russian "Little Boy" anecdotes(link is to page 74 out of 93 total pages):

http://www.tveedo.ru/humor/40/74.html

A Sample:

Quote:
Маленький мальчик по лесу гулял,
Хоботом листья он с веток срывал,
Правым копытом он в лужу залез,
Тихо качался чернобыльский лес.

Other anecdotes are also available. Chrome translate doesn't seem to do well with these though.

Found via http://www.metafilter.com/130220/Two-lovers-lay-In-a-field-of-tall-wheat-Quietly-comes-the-combine which has other examples of dark humor as well as English-translated ones.

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Sentence Horror Stories
http://io9.com/two-sentence-horror-stories-are-actually-pretty-chillin-923728355
Some are mediocre. Some are quite nice.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not reward io9 for re-posting content. This is isn't the first time their entire article consists of Reddit-did-this-recently-ain't-it-cool.

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twitter feed: Hannibal goes to the zoo
https://twitter.com/ZooHannibal
Quote:
If you were to escape, tortoise, you would be forgotten almost immediately, invisible. It is your enclosure that makes you a god.

Quote:
When the Aztecs saw Cortés, they could not imagine the calamity to come. What do you imagine when you see puffins in your penguin exhibit?

Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.27bslash6.com/interviews.html

At least read until the interview forms.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I need some more context here or I'm missing something. From my reading it looks like some asshole wasted a bunch of people's job-hunting time and violated some labor laws in order to stick it to their clueless asshole-y manager in a company no one even mildly self-interested would want to work for.

If this a recalling of actual events? Fiction? Hallucination? What?

Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's either a professional troll who inexplicably maintains employment...or it's fiction. I have to assume the latter from the creator of Missing Missy. I'm quite partial to questions #1 & #9 (and the phrasing of #4).

Speaking of fiction: The Worst Muse

Quote:
That "said looks awfully lonely. Maybe you should give it an adverb friend. Maybe you should give them ALL adverb friends.

Quote:
If a character has curves, make sure to specify that they are in all the right places. Otherwise, readers will be confused.

Quote:
American History X, but with werewolves and a pun in the title.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Writing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: