Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quote of the day
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF author David Brin: "Consider ... Lord of the Rings, in which the good guys strive to win re-establishment of an older, graceful and "natural" hierarchy against the disturbing, quasi-industrial and vaguely technological ambience of Mordor, with its smokestack imagery and manufactured power-rings that can be used by anybody, not just an elite few. Those man-made wonders are deemed cursed, damning anyone who dares to use them, usurping the rightful powers of their betters. (The high elves.)"
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
Katrina
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months." ~Clifford Stoll
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put a positive spin on domestic spying, the administration is quick to point out: look people, the government is finally listening to its citizens!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV Guide-reading level synopsis of Spirited Away:

Quote:
Lost in a forest, a 10-year-old girl meets animals, ghosts and weird creatures.

I suppose it's largely accurate...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man outside a pub below. He descended a bit more and shouted:

"Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approx 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees longitude."

"You must be in Production" said the balloonist.

"I am" replied the man, "how did you know?"

"Well" answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help far"

The man below responded, "You must be an Account Manager"

"I am" replied the balloonist "but how did you know?"

"Well" said the man "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You are in exactly the same position now that you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

http://creativebits.org/the_man_in_the_hot_air-balloon
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://narrativemagazine.com/issues/unscheduled-stories/type
Quote:
Dominic’s breath is soft in my ear, his accent a lilting roller coaster. He guides my hand, telling me exactly what he wants me to do. I’m moist with sweat, exhausted, but he’s patient, knowing it’s my first time. We’ve been at it for hours—his voice is coming from a million miles away.

“Now, please type in C as in California, O as in Oregon, N as in New York, and F as in Fronk-en-shty-een.”

“Excuse me?”

“F as in Fronk-en-shty-een.”

“Frankenstein?”

“That is correct.”

I do as he says. A pause.

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” I’m shrieking in ecstasy.

Darling Dominic, or whatever your real name is, in Calcutta or New Delhi—thank you, thank you, my sweet love. After five grueling hours with you, I’m back online.

The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Minchin's Storm: http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2009/02/storm_by_tim_mi.html
The text of the poem: http://podblack.com/?p=1141
The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like all the internewts forum discussions on science and spirituality.

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.xkcdb.com/?5088

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You! What have you done? You've just pre-wasted my day!
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ryanpgallagher.com/post/85360628/haikus-for-a-dangerous-world

Quote:

Haikus for a dangerous world

I just finished teaching my first class on 3-D cinematography. For the final, I gave the students the option to answer 2 extra credit questions. Here’s the second one.

“A velociraptor is coming at you on a hoverboard. In a haiku, describe how you will survive.”

See comments for more haikus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Writing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: