Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New CD Copy protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do u think sony's new trick will work?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Don't Know
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: New CD Copy protection Reply with quote

Sony is supposedly going to release new copy protection in their cds...this time they r testing this in germany, but their trick is they r also going to give ppl digital copies of the music on the cd, but it can only be played on sony players and they might be making a plug in for other players soon...also they say they r providing more content on the cd's that can be accessed online only if u have the real cd...I think this is an improvement and might do something to help cd sales and stop ppl from getting stuff online if they can actualy now get what they pay for...for full article read.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3790750&pageNumber=0

--Isaac Asimov
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise your hand if you have a Sony CD Player...
Shoot, my CDRW is a sony :X

Unless it is released allowing anyone with a normal CD Player to play it, I think it'll backlash.

And as for copy-protection, given the previous two publicized attempts, I don't think it'll take more than a week or two for someone to find an easy way around it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the poll be more betting-pool style as to how long it'll last?...I'd say dead in a fortnight...
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cd and content will play on just about anything, but it's their version of digital music that will only play on sony players right now, i think they'll have their own comp player that can play this, but they say they r working on plugins for other mp3 desktop players....i think what might sell them is the extra content on the cds, if it's worth it and it has enough of it then they might be worth the $12-$16 pricetag as long as the whole thing is packaged properly, this can take off as well as dvd's did, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see...btw sony in the article i think admited that they excpect their software to be cracked almost imediatly, i think they r hoping that a majority of consumers won't go through the trouble of cracking their cd's even if a way is out there...but we'll just see..

--Isaac Asimov
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the good ole' days, there was extra content on the CD's. That disappeared. I don't think it's gonna make a comeback. People expect it on DVD's because they cost so much more, but I don't think it's gonna sell CD's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess ur right...most ppl listen to music a mear background type stuff, but there r those ppl who want to devote all their attention to whatever they r listning...i wonder if those type of ppl would spend money buying cd's if they had more content on them.....

--Isaac Asimov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> What's Going On? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: