Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

art stuff thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: art stuff thread Reply with quote

starting this over again because i think i deleted the old one

some character sheets in progress

creature type images also in progress

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first creature one, especially that wing - you're good at biological designs.

Any background info on the characters? might help, if you're looking for comments on the ideas.
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh...the characters have kinda long backstories which are overly dramatic and yea....crappy

the first one's an anti hero type, the second is a demigod, there's supposed to be a third one but i'm not even remotely sure as to how one does a character sheet for someone who looks like a different person/thing/amorphous blob every time

Most of the time its easier to get along with people before you get to know them.
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd buy those descriptions for those characters (btw, I disagree with that CA.org post - the demigoddess character doesn't really look evil to me, but definately "determined").

As for the third character: I suppose that depends on if you want the reader to be able to quickly identify the character in whichever form, or not. You could try some variation of the X-men/Mystique approach (where you can often recognize her yellow eyes, if just for a frame) - but you could apply that to hairstyle, surface texture, clothing pattern, something like that. It may help to have a sort of "base form" that the character returns to every now and then, to help the reader "keep up".
"Instead, it has always been there. I found it during the CT scan last year, when the mummy was lifted. It lay loose in the sand around the king's body. It was mummified," Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twiggy

fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to get some feedback from people on this possible website design before i actually implement it.

The blue text with the arrow is an offsite link, the red is a regular link(i may invert them on account of me having mostly offsite links)

Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's nice and clean. The only two small things I have is first I'm not a terribly huge fan or bright red colors, but I like the deeper I guess...maroon red in the title bar. Also I not sure about the gradient bar on the side. Maybe if u extended those tenticles and bit and faded them out as they went down, that might work, though I really have no idea since this is not really my area of knowledge.

--Isaac Asimov
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty much fine to me. My only concern is that the banner bar might be a bit too thick - I think even if you crop off most of the top "flare," you still get a good sense of the shape of it, and it won't take much out of the effect.

I think the lighter red is only a problem ahainst the darker part of the gradient - perhaps shift it to something a bit more like this?

fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my druid character (i am aware of the anatomy issues)

fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more designiness in need of opinion. This is another site version but not sure which image to use for the banner.

http://www.shinydoom.com/fate/picbin/design/siteDesign5_1.jpg

http://www.shinydoom.com/fate/picbin/design/siteDesign5_2.jpg

new

http://www.shinydoom.com/fate/picbin/design/siteDesign5_3.jpg

Last edited by fate on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one with the girl reads as an image right away - the critter, to me at least, first looked more like a geometric design. I like the first better for that reason, but the second might be ant interesting effect to go for.
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added a new variation, see original post.

Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's not the first time seeing it anymore, I'm not sure if the contrast helps with that abstract-geometry issue. I liked the previous version of the sigil/bluething, though, where it only broke the panel on the bottom.

If the font size change was intentional, the larger one is better, IMO.

Edit: meaning font of the body text, in case that wasn't clear...
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I still like the girl one better, she looks like she's burned into the background. Also the third one is pretty good with more contrast. Not sure though which I like better the logo inside the banner as in the first two or outside as in the third one...

--Isaac Asimov
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new thing, still in progress

Corgren
Good Luck
Good Luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neck and the nearer shoulder seem a bit off, but I like where this is going...
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

character sheet for the changeling character thing

updated lineart/partial shading for the preious pic. Desided to make this an illustration of the character above(one of his versions/shapes/bodies/whatever). Flipped to make me deal with symmetry issues.

fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some real old watercolor artwork i found in the attic. These from way back in high school, i though i lost em both a long time ago.

Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't seen your watercolor before... I really like the first one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah the ways the colors mix is realy pretty Shocked

--Isaac Asimov
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of a dump update thing:

finished the character sheet for Mel
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35394394/

Do Not Taunt The Octopus - warning sign
http://www.shinydoom.com/fate/picbin/signs/Do_Not_Taunt_The_Octopus.jpg

Subway logo spoof grafic done because i was bored out of my skull
http://www.shinydoom.com/fate/picbin/signs/zombie.jpg

neither the octopus thing nor the subway spoof are my idea, they are things i have previously seen while exploring the internets. I just make the pictures.

i'm trying to keep an art blog now so stuff can be seen at
http://fate135.vox.com/
or
http://fate135.livejournal.com/

Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the feature at www.amateurillustrator.com. need more monkeys need more monkeys need more monkeys need more monkeys Its Comcastic! ....

sorry couldn't resist.

--Isaac Asimov
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crazy-design-new-look-for-my-website-time again and so I have two images on that. I wanted to get some opinions on it. I have another design in mind but i've been to lazy to make the illustration I need for that so that'll be later.

Home page with blog....probably. The image on the side will be randomly selected amongst a number of images which have been pre-made for that spot.

Image gallery page - the thumbnails are in an area which scrolls depending on the mouse's position over it(scrolls down near the bottom, scrolls up near the top)

Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the side image thing and I like how everything fades in or out. The few suggestions I would make is:

Move the first title a bit more down below the squigle or make the squigle fade sooner.

I'm not sure the red break around the page body works, maybe a border that fades on the curve and fades in around the R, or maybe nothing would look better.

Also I think the highlights over the links at the top don't quite fit in. If you had them also fade in from the sides to highlight it, that might work, but I'm not sure otherwise. Everything seems to have very soft edges within the body of the page and the body and the menu items are harsher so I think you want to have those same soft edges in the menu also...though i don't know if that would make the site harder to navigate...maybe something to try.

Hopefully that helps

--Isaac Asimov
Mogri
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the title and squiggle override each other a little much. The elongated rounded corners on the top of the body also seem out of place, even if they're mirroring the header (the corners on the bottom of the body aren't the same either). I'd also prefer a little more contrast on the text in the header links. I do like the gradients and the fading effects and the background-type images; makes it seem more like a large cohesive thing than just a gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now that other design i mentioned before:

just the home page for now:

http://www.shinydoom.com/fate/picbin/design/new_design2/home%20page.jpg

Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo that looks pretty cool, the only suggestion I can think of is to do something more with the two red bars top and bottom. Everything else is textured so they seem to stand out, though if that's what u were going for than ignore me

--Isaac Asimov
fate
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need opinions on which version of this pic is better.

http://fate135.vox.com/library/post/now-in-color.html

teeeell meeeeee!!

Trool
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like version 1 better, you can see more of the background....

--Isaac Asimov
Jastermereel
Good Karma
Good Karma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Trool. Version 1 is better.

Version 2 feels a bit too washed out and the brighter feel doesn't quite jive with the shadows; in that sort of bright light they'd have to be painted on to look that way.
The old Jastermereel account seems to have been killed in an unfortunate email changing accident. I am an illegal clone manufactured on a little known island state off the coast of...well...never you mind. Pretend nothing happened and you won't have to face the combined wrath of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and the League of Awesomeness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Art All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: