Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index Shiny Doom Forum
Forum content does NOT necessarily reflect the views of the Admins of this forum. Read at your own risk.
Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom DOOM doom doom doom

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Motherboard Manufacturer supports BOTH AMD andIntel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rklee
Uber-Karma
Uber-Karma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Computer Motherboard Manufacturer supports BOTH AMD andIntel Reply with quote

So it all seems great, motherboard supporting both AMD and Intel, two sets of chipsets, and bus's to support both AMD K8 and Intel P4's....

But what's the bloody point I ask. I think these smart asses at ECS get caught up into how cool this thing would be without thinking about how useful it would be. The mobo CAN'T run both processors at the same time.... so... you pay for 150% of a motherboard and you can only use 100%. How many people plan to switchin and out Intel and AMD processors??? Not to mention you must change OS installations (for windows users) when you do a processor change.

Quote:
In one fell swoop, ECS are attempting to remove the cost problem inherent in switching between an Intel or AMD machine.

Cost problem inherent in switching between an Intel or AMD machine??? That's just stupid I think. Why would you switch a processor? Upgrade?? Well both chipsets K8 and Intel are of the same generation. If you plan to upgrade this won't help. Broken processor??? Having a broken processor doens't require you to switch to another manufacturer of processors. I just find this to be quite a waste of development cost.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMDM2[/quote]
Jastermereel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is, in a way, connected with the Star Wars v. Star Trek thread. Like so many nerd activities, it may have no practical purpose despite the mammoth amounts of time, money and effort put into it. However, the reason such impractical things are made is clear:

They're bloody cool!

Addmitedly, things done only for coolness normally don't get nearly this far in production, and it is quite possible that there may be no one who wants to bother with it, but i suspect that at least a small portion of the computer-oriented nerds out there may be inclined to do so despite the trouble it entails.

P.S. Great to see someone else randomly using bits of brit-slang Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shiny Doom Forum Forum Index -> Things of interest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: